Friday, 23 October 2009

I remember lying awake at night & thinking just of you

I got into the band U2 when the video of Beautiful Day came out. I thought it was a sick video. I was like I want to make out with some dazzling blonde lady in an airport!

The All That You Can't Leave Behind album is still my favourite U2 album. Likely, because it was the first album I ever heard by the band. I slowly went to the back catalog and discovered other gems like October, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, et cetera...

After, seeing that annoying Black Berry advert at the movie theatres too much, I have been disenchanted with band ever since. Not to mention I wasn't feeling the last two albums How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and No Line On The Horizon.

However, U2 do release singles and a lot of the b-sides in my opinion are diamonds.

So here is one of those lame blogs where I list my favourite U2 tracks and likely you've not heard of them because I stray away from the big hits. I like them, no doubt about that, but, I feel they have way better tracks and these are just some of the tunes when I am in U2 mood that I will put on.

(1) Wild Honey [All That You Can't Leave Behind]
"I send you flowers, cut flowers for your hall I know you're garden's full but is there sweetness at all Oh oh oh, love me with your soul"

(2) Original Of The Species [How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb]
"And you feel like no one before You steal right under my door I kneel 'cause I want you some more I want the lot of what you got And I want nothing that you're not"

(3) Mercy [Unreleased studio track that was leaked]
"Love puts the blue back in my eye Love will come again I'll be gone again Again If you hunger, baby let me feed it If your heart is full, baby let me bleed it"

(4) When I Look At The World [All That You Can't Leave Behind]
"So I try to be like you Try to feel it like you do But without you it's no use I can't see what you see When I look at the world"

(5) She's A Mystery To Me [All Because Of You Single]
"Darkness falls and she Will take me by the hand Take me to some twilight land Where all but love is gray And I don't find my way Without her as my guide"

(6) Zoo Station [Achtung Baby]
"I'm ready, ready for the gridlock I'm ready to take it to the street I'm ready for the shuffle, ready for the deal Ready to let go of the steering wheel I'm ready, ready for the crush"

(7) Staring At The Sun [Pop]
"I'm nearly great but there's something missing I left it in the duty free Oh she calls She never really belonged to me"

(8) An Cat Dubh [Boy]
"Say good night She waits for me to turn out the light Really still She waits to break my will Yes, and I know the truth about you She cat"

(9) Gloria [October]
"I try to sing this song loud I try to stand up But I can't find my feet I try, I try to speak up But only in you I'm complete"

(10) Running To Stand Still [The Joshua Tree]
"She runs through the streets With her eyes painted red Under a black belly of cloud in the rain"

(11) Are You Gonna Wait Forever? [Vertigo Single]
"The furniture you can rearrange Don't trade your dreams for some small change Guard the flame, or better, leave it naked"

(12) In A Little While [All That You Can't Leave Behind]
"A man dreams one day to fly A man takes a rocketship into the skies He lives on a star that's dying in the night And follows in the trail, the scatter of light Turn it on, turn it on, you turn me on Slow down my beating heart Slowly, slowly love"

(13) Ultraviolet (Light My Way) [Achtung Baby]
"And the day is as dark as the night is long Feel like trash, you make me feel clean I'm in the black, can't see or be seen"

(14) I Will Follow [Boy]
"I was on the inside When they pulled the four walls down I was looking through the window I was lost, I am found"

(15) Kite [All That You Can't Leave Behind]
"In summer I can taste the salt in the sea There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze I wonder what's gonna happen to you You wonder what has happened to me I'm a man, I'm not a child A man who sees the shadow behind your eyes"

No comments:

Post a Comment