Wednesday, 5 May 2010

You might have the right, I still think you're a piece of shit though

I am a big fan of freedom of speech. Even kinds I detest. My neighbours to the south have that good old first amendment. In Canada-land we have something, don't know what it is called. However, as I recall from my one journalism professor it only goes so far. The Australian teacher whom loved the saying "up shit's creek in a barbed-wire canoe," recalled how this asshole German named Ernest Zundel tried to get him to testify at a trial he was having in Canada to prevent his deportation. My professor was eventually served and in court he refused to testify, because of how big of a piece of shit this Ernest Zundel is.

I believe wacko people like Anne Coulter should be heard, so one can see how deplorable their views are. A couple months back their was a brouhaha about this in Canuckville.

"The best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market," Holmes wrote. "I think that we should be eternally vigilant," he added, "against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe and believe to be fraught with death."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, whose 1919 dissent in Abrams v. United States eventually formed the basis for modern First Amendment law.

One day I noticed, someone on my facebook posted something. Now I am friends with this lady that I will call Dennis.

We had a bit of war of words over facebook over her post. She needless to say censored my comment, trying not to offend apparently her mother's racist co-worker. Now some might say that oh that wasn't racist it was a joke that person made. In my opinion it is absolutely racist, the comment they made.

I believe in the presence of a mob, you still need to confront these people regardless if you win or lose. Now this mob might not be violent, I am using it in the sense of a bunch of people with views I totally disagree with. It could be at a party or gathering. It likely will be awkward confronting this people, but, I think it is more awkward sitting their quietly while you let the views you detest go unchallenged.

Growing up in Jim Carrey High School / Ryan Gosling High School land, my town is the typical white suburban place. I noticed comments by people. Some like my racist cousins, who I deem to be trash by the way and have nothing to do with them. The most idiotic thing I find is so called Christians that are racist / prejudice and homophobic. It just always bewilders me, how can you call yourself a Christian if you're racist? Where in la bible does it say: Thou shall be a bigot?

Another view I question is people that complain about immigrants. It is really a what the fuck view in my opinion. First of all, no one really belongs in North America except for the Native Americans. So when people bitch about immigration, these people seem to forget this whole continent is based on immigration and we don't really belong here. We stole Native land and slaughter their people. Mind you, I am using that in a historical view that are governments did this. I am definitely not a fan of Manifest Destiny.

Anyways back to that facebook rant. Below is what transpired. I said something about the person below, I meant that below my friends comment. I could have said above me, this was after the thought. I pondered not censoring the person in question's full-name. I believe I kept their first name and last name initial.

2 comments:

  1. Thumbs up to you!

    I never understood why people "hate" in the name of god.
    I always thought that Jesus was all about spreading the love. Same goes for "religious wars" (killing in the name of god) and...crazy ish you sometimes hear about like Pro-lifers harming Pro-choice doctors...it all seems ver contradictory.

    I should comment on your blog more. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pal!

    Love the comment.

    Yeah I really don't understand how people are against pro choice.

    When abortion is banned it just becomes invisible, still exists.

    And women's health suffers because of lack of reproductive rights.

    Far right = crazy.

    ReplyDelete