Thursday, 6 May 2010

My rabbit's foot (I've been lucky twice)

The first time I saw Frightened Rabbit, I met a lovely attractive lady. I laughed at her and covered it up with a faux cold cough, due to her mishandling of her delicious food. The line up then was moving and I didn't get the chance to get her name. So I posted some random Craigslist Missed Connection.

Her name is Heather and she told me about how someone at her work read the missed connection that was picked up by 24 hours some free newspaper / magazine and yeah. We are still facebook "friends", didn't work out. However, I wasn't even trying and I met some lady at a concert. Pretty good for a former reserved man.

May 4th 2010

Star War geeks were-a-tweeting about the fourth being with you. I was excited about my first concert of 2010 and my favourite Scottish band: Frightened Rabbit.

My buddy and moi missed the first train, even with my insane driving, it wasn't enough. The evening was already on a "Oh, real nice mood!" We barely made the second train. Apparently, my Chuck Berry's time is off by five minutes.

As we arrived at Union Station we took the subway up to Queen. Luckily, the TTC driver didn't notice or care that we used transfers from Queen. Apparently, that is against the rules or something? A couple of stops later some angry guy who was nice when he excused himself by me with two dogs sat down beside some man in his fifties. The Fifty Year Old Man did not move his bag at first and the dude was pretty assertive: telling him can you move your bag sir. Dog Man was not pleased with the Fifty Year Old Man and the verbal assault on him lasted for a while. It was definitely awkward and everyone at the back of the Street Car Named Ire, were all quiet on the Western Front (minus Dog Man of course). The facial expressions of the passengers were classic as Dog Man continued his rah-rah-rant. Thankfully, the Broadview stop came and I was able to escape and release my laughter at this man's senseless rage. It was hard to take his perspective serious when he put his sunglasses down and was wearing them like that douche Corey Hart at night.

As we arrived at the Opera House the venue did not seem that bad. The question was where were we going to stand though. I checked out the bottom for a bit and the sound sucked and there was no way to get to the front row. We headed back up to the balcony area to the far left and I didn't like that. Went back down and then settled on the balcony to the far right.

Maps & Atlases came on and I was kind of prejudice to that band. I saw them with Ra Ra Riot at Lee's Palace and didn't like their material then. A phenomenal band called Princeton opened up before them at Lee's and they won me with their California sound. Much to my chagrin at the end of the set they changed my opinion of them. There lead singer has some crazy Joaquin Phoenix beard going on though. I believe I decided to grow back a beard after this set. I guess it was beardspiration once more.

The house lights came on and the roadie crews were setting up Frightened Rabbit's gear. This was met by a nice welcome of the house playing music. I found myself knowing all the words to the phenomenal landmark album Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. My buddy tried to talk to me and I was just mouthing the lyrics.

During, the setting up I notice two things. Some attractive blonde was near a to the right. She was the key marking point for a rendezvous. The second thing I noticed was a set list by la drummer's gear. With acts that I wanted a set list I've been two for two thus far. The plan I gave to my buddy was we would go down at the encore and make our way to the front stage via my strategy. He had some reservations about it being possible to get this set list or even to make it midway. I rallied his support by saying: "If they could storm the beaches at Normandy, we can fight our way through the crowd to get that set list!!!"

There would be about an hour to commence this action. What was queer during the concert was a scrawny lady beside me. She had been sitting down fro the whole Maps & Atlases set and now Frightened Rabbit set. I could have asked her if she was ok, but, she seemed to be in la la land and I didn't want her to vomit on me.

So I was stomping my feet to la beat and having a good time and then the encore came. Needless to say my buddy took a grenade and was MIA. I only made it to the stairs near the soundboard which was a good spot to watch the first encore being the song Poke which was done without a mic. After that my favourite song Living In Colour was played, followed by Keep Yourself Warm. I proceeded to make it to the front of the stage. My buddy tried to get a set list from the soundboard people, but, I knew this was a futile task and it was deviating from the specific rendezvous point. I reached the stage and caught the attention of a roadie / sound technician. I asked nicely saying: "Excuse me, would you please hook me up with the drummer's set list at all? Thank you." The lady beside me asked for one which was not available and in a none proper manners custom. She smiled at me and I guess thought we were comrades or something. We weren't, I obviously grew up in a culture of treating people with respect and manners, she did not. So I scored the set list and my buddy finally met up with me. I then did some interpretative dancing on the floor out of joy. Mission Accomplished.

To my surprised my friend volunteered to get my set list signed. I agreed as I saw some of the band members taking down their gear. Near the bar their was the attractive blonde lady that I noticed from the balcony when I was planning the course of action to get la set list preceding the beginning of Frightened Rabbit's set. Naturally as an opportunity arouse I asked her if she had a pen. She began to fiddle through her purse and then my cock blocking friend found one from the bartender and said to me in the presence of this lady. At first I took this as a sign of defeat and was like wow real nice. As he went to the stage and I looked on in did that just happen? She struck up a conversation with moi.

We began talking about the band. She mentioned that they sounded really familiar and she had an accent, just came to Toronto six months ago from Scotland. Our conversation was heating up. Discussing music we shared the same taste, apparently was going to see the Eagles this summer and grew up on their stuff like moi. We also shared the common bound of singing to most of the Rumours (album) by Fleetwood Mac prior to the band taking the stage. The conversation involved music and I found out what she was doing here going to school for some music business shindig. It was all going great and then my buddy reappeared. He said oh I just got your set list signed by the whole band. I was impressed and shocked. When I saw the band before I got two of the member Grant and Andy to sign my list at the Horseshoe Tavern. I bought him a beer needless to say and was in the process of buying the new attractive lady I met named Paulina. She asked for a Vodka and Coke which was weird didn't know that existed. Anyhow my friend left us alone and joined some conversation with a group of people. I asked for her number and got it. The conversation ended and I had a feel good feeling. Second time at a Frightened Rabbit concert I met an attractive lady, however, I got the number this time.

I walked up to my buddy and his new conversational pals and he asked me is Sarah Jessica Parker the ugliest person in Hollywood, I said hell no! That goes to RuPaul. For some reason this delivery of that line caused this group of people to explode in a fit of laughter.

Post Script: I sent Paulina a text message on Thursday at 2200 stating: "Hey it is James from the Frightened Rabbit Show. Want to hang out next week? The Rhumb Line by Ra Ra Riot is an amazing album check it out." I have not got a response, so I assume the code is to wait until Sunday and give her a call and if no answer leave a message and concede defeat. Unless of course she does answer.

Question: What do you my readers think I should do?


No comments:

Post a Comment