Sunday, 9 May 2010

This is nonsense

On Friday I was cut from work because it was too slow and my co-workers were new.

Mind you, I have one shift over the newest one and two over the other one. Needless, to say I work harder than the both.

The thing with a part-time job at night is you get bullshit politics. I've avoided most of this by being quiet and doing my job.

Last night, I was pissed I got my hours cut because it was slow.

Earlier in the night, I was told I would be on the main bar once again. Not a problem mind you, I have been on it for the last four shifts. Prior to this I asked about 6 pm shifts. I have only had two my training shift and my second shift. My next five shifts have been 8pm / 7pm shifts. The new people have had the 6pm shifts mainly. I was told that they have to rotate them to be "fair." Well, shouldn't the whole main bar and non-main one be rotated using that rational?

This weekend I had the shit hour shifts again. Next weekend I will have the same, if I don't quit the job, need a new one to quit it though.

On Saturday night, I was working the main bar. No problem. I told the third bar back guy: CB (Cock Bitch) that I wouldn't need him on it with me. As I don't and to focus on the floor and what not, collecting empty glasses and bottles. Unfortunately, he was at my area and took work away that would be mine in an ideal two man bar back night, versus the three person bloated and needless lineup.

A bartender broke an empty bottle and CB began cleaning it up. So another guy named Ron that is a younger brother of a manager Randy came chirping that a mop needed to be done some where. CB told me this and I said I would do it. His instructions were vague, needless to say it was by some stair area. I came out and moped the spilled alcohol zone up. As I did this I noticed a lot of empty glasses and bottles. I couldn't find the second area that apparently needed to be moped. In my opinion, the job was done.

I came back out after returning the mop and collected empties. CB ran into me next and said I didn't mop the top area, I assertively said yeah I did and then he said: "Well you missed the other spot," my reply was well then "do it yourself." As I began to collect empties.

After returning the empties, Ron came back and said to me "that I told Cock Bitch, to go fucking do it himself," I replied I did the top mop spot and I didn't tell him: "to go fucking do it himself." So I went out and tried to find the spot I missed "apparently." I moped near the front door and returned the mop once again.

As I went to the main bar area and looked at what I needed stocked up, the one bartender I had worked with previously before, said that they needed 5 bottles of some white wine. I proceeded to go get those, when I was interrupted by a manager named Scott. He wanted to talk with me with Randy.

Scott said to me "that I was told to mop an area and didn't do it and told CB to go do it himself." I explained, that I did do the top area and that I didn't do the bottom at first as I did not know where it was. and when I came back out I began collecting empties when CB came up to me and I told him to "do it yourself." He talked to me about "teamwork" and what not. I explained that I understood the concept and that at the time I was doing my job, collecting empties, after my initial mop. Well it appears the answer I gave was the "incorrect" one and I got sent home. I didn't even argue about this. I thought wow what a waste of time a four hour shift. I head to the change room and proceeded to take my lock off it and went upstairs to collect the tips I received last night for the time I worked until I was cut because the "new guys" needed more experience and it would be good on a non-busy night.

Some might say I have an attitude. I don't believe that is the case here. I mopped the area up that I knew and proceed to do my job. 'Tis pathetic that CB tattled on me for missing an area and telling him to do it yourself or has he stated erroneously to Ron: "to fucking do it yourself." I contested this with Mr. Ron about the words that CB stated to him. I guess that was a no no as well, even though the dude is no manager, as he said you guys are suppose to work as a "team."

I saw Randy and said to him I guess I am done here. He told me no why would you say that? Well I said I'm being sent home. I explained my position once again to Randy emphasizing that I did mop the area and added the detail that my trainer Rob (no longer works there, trained me on his last shift and a good worker I might add), stated the one owner gets pissed off if he sees empties lying around. I was given the teamwork talk and next week start off fresh and everyone has a bad day.

Basically, I need a new job. Obviously, the fact that I work the hardest and started two shifts before CB doesn't matter. One has to be a snitch to advance apparently.

Likely, I have the label of an "attitude" now and CB likely thinks he won and has sway since I got sent home for him acting like a little shit. I only care that I lost hours both days and worked basically nine hours for two days. Other than that I don't care about an asinine individual and another kid on a power trip because of his brother in management.

After all, it's a part-time job. I need a full-time one for school bad though.

In conclusion, I'm glad I stood up for myself tonight. The repeat of SNL on sattelite at 1 am was good!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh this post makes my blood BOIL! I have worked in the bar/restaurant industry for ten yrs since I was seventeen (started as a little hostess) and have been faced with so much baloney that I actually ended up in an anger management course for a bit lol. The fact is that it is one industry in which you will always be faced with the "work as a team" goof-ball managers and obnoxious CB's. You just need to remember that you WON'T be doing that crap for the rest of your life and they are the sad ones who use words like "team player" at a restaurant job.

    DON'T GET ME WRONG. Working in that industry is TOUGH and I have the utmost respect for all who do it, as it is quite possibly one of the most difficult jobs. The work itself is hard, and dealing with "politics" that come with it make it even harder.

    The difficulty lays in the fact that you cannot earn as much money anywhere else. Have you considered becoming a Gigalo?

    Hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find me some people so I can do this Gigalo shindig.

    It will be interesting what happens this Friday coming up.

    My prediction, is I get a talk before I start my shift or something.

    It definitely is shit money, $10.25 blows. I used to make real money $27 when people were buying Chrysler cars, with a sweet summer job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bartending is one of the toughest jobs out there, I feel your pain Jimmy

    ReplyDelete