Monday, 15 October 2012

Living In Colour













The night began with a relaxing 19th century mode of transportation into Toronto. 

I had previously seen Frightened Rabbit when they played the Horseshoe Tavern, Opera House and when they opened for Death Cab for Cutie at the Molson Amphitheatre. 

I decided against bringing in a jacket as the coat check is just a cash grab and at the end of the concert everyone is rushing there and the line ups take forever. My company though decided to use the coat check to my dismay. 

Prior to actually lining up at the Mod Club (which I must say is a phenomenal venue). We took the Streetcar Not Named Desire Over. 

On said Streetcar a lady with a regular hot chocolate (white hot chocolate is the non-regular kind) came on. I was hoping she would not spill her drink on me and cause a uproar of anger stemming from me. She did have some incidental touching of me, in which she apologized. I told her whatever doesn't bug me and not to be sorry, just hopefully she doesn't soak / burn me with her hot chocolate. 

I believe we took off Clinton. 

Made our way to some Sushi place that I had gone to before with said company and my attractive babesicle of a friend name Allison. I actually picked up some lady's number the last time I was there. 

The food was good. The band actually showed up to eat some sushi before their gig. I wasn't at all concerned, more of a that's cool and let it be. We then proceed to go to some Italian restaurant across from the venue to get some bruskis before going to the venue. 

I had to drain like the Mississippi River all night which was rather annoying. I thought when did I become an older person. 

Upon lining up waiting for my pal. I noticed a cute lady in line and some tall chaps one of which sold his extra ticket for sixty dollars to leeches, I mean scalpers. This profit gave him a cocky satisfaction, like he was the King of the World. 

I focused on my temperature and hoping the doors would open soon, so I could utilize my fireman's hose and stop a fire aka taking a leak in the toilet and pretending my penis is a hose. 

My friend took forever for the coat check which was again, a dumb idea. It wasn't like he had a coat either it was sweat shirt. I clearly was going for the front of the stage so I could take some photos. Clearly, my pal could have been fiscally conservative and put his coat on the side of the stage out of the way. 

As I waited I made eye contact with a lovely looking lady which was the one I saw in the line-up thinking, wow she's pretty cute. I talked to her like a human being and not a socially inept individual. Found out her name was Cassie with a K, going to Ryerson and taking some rad fashion related program, it was her first time seeing the band and how she enjoyed them.  I went on how they are phenomenal live and that I was taking pictures. She mentioned how that was cool and for me to send her the link to where I would be posting some of them. Then my pal came over and well let's just say that got awkward as he scared her off.

I later gave her my phone to get the contact information, spelled her name with a C in which she corrected. I found that cool for some reason. 

Some other lady came by her name was Megan, no idea how she spelled her name. I wasn't interest in her, but being a nice guy I talked to her. However, my pal was kind of into her. He went to get me another rum and coke and I found out she had a boyfriend. This was done so my friend would know and he wouldn't make an ass out of himself.  She maneuvered to the side part of the stage near him and my situational awareness kicked in. 

The first time I saw Frightened Rabbit it was at the Horseshoe Tavern. I actually wrote a missed connection on craigslist about this lady whose food projectiled off her plate. And I laughed at her. She was cute too. She answered the connection as she read 24 at work. Her name was Heather anyhow, where I was standing at that junction they had setlists of a few bands that become big on the wall framed.

It was at this concert where I began my collection of setlists to every gig I go to or at least attempt to get. I have been rather successful. As one you should always be polite to the techs that are taking down the gear, always say please and thank you and not be an asshole. 

Back to the situational awareness. This short 5'3 Megan lady I read her and knew she would make a pass for the setlist infront of the keyboardist / guitarist.  That is actually in the picture above.

So at the end of the concert I clearly had the height advantage and arm length / reach advantage over my friend and this lady. I made sure once the Loneliness and The Scream ended to grab it quickly. Needless to say Megan was a little too slow for my reflexes and my situational awareness and reading of her paid off. 

What is missing is one new song that Scott Hutchison did on acoustic guitar and Poke. No idea if the other band members had a different set list. Likely not though. 

Speaking of which, Mr. Hutchison's voice was a little off that night, however, the energy was all there that one comes to expect at a Frightened Rabbit concert. 

My highlights were: The Twist, Living In Colour and The Loneliness & The Scream. 




No comments:

Post a Comment