The night started off weird. Me and my relative parked at some side street. As I was adjusting the vehicle we heard a lady's scream that was high pitched and then it stopped. Mind you this area was rather a nice and well to do part of Toronto.
We proceeded to Allen's Pub for some dinner and drinks. My relative company, raved on how the lamb was good. They had an extensive beer menu too. I definitely digged the Blanche de Chambly on draught.
Apparently Bookie from edge 102.1 came in and my sister said look who just came in. I don't know who this Bookie guy is, likely a nice person. I just don't listen to the radio, can't stand the annoying adverts. I would apparently almost run into him later.
I didn't care much to line up outside as it was starting to rain. I noticed that tickets were still for sale. I found this rather odd as Death Cab for Cutie is Ben Gibbard. Just like Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor. Rather, weird that tickets were still up for grabs. I jumped on them as soon as I heard.
We would head over next door to the bar owned by Allen's where I would consume a Steam Whistle, before leaving for the concert. We arrived at 8:25 pm or so. Security checked my bag and asked if we were drinking that was a decline on my end, as I had three drinks in me.
The venue had character to it. As we wandered in the lobby I didn't know which end to go to. So I used my Stevie Wonder sense. I just came up with it in the lobby. Where one walks with their eyes closed, swinging their head side to side, arms out and hoping for the best. Needless to say I almost ran into this Bookie guy.
As we went down the aisle I noticed at least six rows minimum that were empty. Upon arrival at my seats with the helpful usher, some bald middle age prick was in my seat with his popcorn. He looked terrible for his age and I immediately didn't like this seat leech. He then went talking to security if it was ok to sit at these other spots and the guard didn't care at all. I could tell this dude had no testicles as he just didn't sit there and went to ask for permission.
"Random Bald Guy" then went over to talk to his friends on the far end before settling back infront of us and then moving to an empty seat front centre. This was a good thing as it allowed me to have no one in front of me so I could take pictures.
The one thing I didn't understand is why the Canadian crowd was so reserved. There wasn't much clapping during Such Great Heights. It took the crowd a while to realize the introduction to "Title & Registration" I picked up the song with the first chord played. Not to be a snob but I was embarrassed with the delay reaction of: "oh yeah I know this song and I like it, like it, yes I do."
Now to digress. Upon going to the washroom and urinating in the toilet a gentlemen mentioned how someone is threw a toonie in his toilet and how he wasn't that desperate to get it. I chuckled to myself. As I had noticed that at a bar in Hamilton called West Town. When I arrived back to the washroom and used that stall, the money was gone. Someone got a nice toilet toonie.
Mr. Gibbard had pretty solid banter with the crowd. Going on how his booking agent was terrible as Rush was playing tonight in Toronto. He joked how he wished that he was at that show and how people at his gig were the folks that couldn't get tickets to Rush. I assumed they were playing at the ACC or something. I saw them at SARS stock years ago and that was decent.
Digression number #2, the opening act that I all but missed, minus two songs Julie Doiron was pretty cute.
When I go to gigs, I always try to get the set list as a memento. I spotted it earlier. It was clearly going to be the shorter of the two papers. I realized this Mr. Gibbard performed My Music At Work by the Tragically Hip. I can't say I am a fan of that band. It is painful to even write the name Tragically Hip. As they aren't hip at all and maybe that is the whole basis of the name.
I always thought Barenaked Ladies were way better and had a far wider audience reach. So I never got into that band. However, Mr. Gibbard's version was uber good. I noticed due to my amazing situational awareness that the larger sheet was actually a cheat sheet to My Music At Work. Also logically, why would the smaller sheet be a cheat sheet? When the gig ended I was the first one at the stage and utilizing manners I was able to score me the set list. Making my most recent record 3 and 3.
Upon leaving the concert area to the lobby I went to the washroom again and rendezvoused with my relative. I asked them why they didn't go and they mentioned how the ladies room had a huge line up of women. I made a joke about how those are consider women? yikes! A lady with a familiar face was in the area and heard this. No idea if it bombed or not joke wise.
I would later realize that the person was someone whom I have seen retweeted by some other person on my list and likely I followed them before I purged my list.
I thought wow small world and weird.
Overall it was an superb show by a talented cat, shame on Toronto for not having the show sold out.


No comments:
Post a Comment