This blog's was initially saved as a draft. I had the working title down and the content was in my head. I wrote the content finally today.
Four years ago a promise was made in 2008.
My motto is never to trust a promise from anyone. Even people that are close to you. As people are fickle. I trust likely three people in my life. Absolute trust. Five if we count dogs.
I was suppose to get a vehicle from a member of my family.
At the time I thought, that's nice Grandpa and I appreciate it. Secretly, I was pondering in my head I will see it when I believe it.
He did want to buy me some gold on my birthday one year. When I went into the jewelry store with him after knowing the price, I declined stating that gold is tacky and I don't want it. That was true. However, to me having that money spent on me was extravagant and I rather my Gramps keep the money for himself and make his life better. It just didn't feel morally right. My Grandfather was all there and I know it was a nice gesture on his behalf, but I just did not want that much money spent on me.
Not to say I don't like extravagant things, who doesn't? I rather earn those extravagant purchases myself.
Eventually the truck I was promised was sold back to the dealer and my Grandfather bought my Uncle, whom still lived at home, and was on the sunshine list with a nice six figure salary a new vehicle. The results of that action, pissed me off.
My Aunt (Uncle's sister) would later buy the vehicle off the dealer.
This year I inquired about the vehicle on a whim.
She was willing to sell it and I was on the hook. At first, I was flip flopping if I wanted the vehicle or not.
It is a 2002 truck, the mileage is rather good on it and relatively it has been kept in good shape.
To the outside world, I may look like some asshole with a beard (I've grown one recently) that is driving a gas guzzling SUV. There is a reason behind the longish haired hipster haircut guy, driving that vehicle.
The vehicle has a story.
There were times, when my Grandfather would drive my Grandmother in it to doctors appointments and to visit her in the hospital.
He began losing his vision and it was easier for him to drive a vehicle higher up than the blue Lincoln Mark VIII he had.
The frightful moments where he would be driving me and I would have to speak up, at times where I was concerned about our collective safety. Mind you, I didn't want to offend him over the little things and we did not have a clear, speak up if I am going to do something rather unsafe policy. I did not want to upset him, is what I am trying to say.
When we loaded up the lazy boy he gave me that was in superb shape, and I kind of crushed his finger when we lowered it. I remember the ouch he gave out, to this day.
Then there were the moments where I would gladly take him to his appointments and check ups, when he could no longer drive due to his eyesight failing him.
This gaz guzzling inanimate object that I drive has a story behind it.
One purchase I am not regretful about.
Thursday, 4 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment