Jay Leno no longer had a gig on television. David Letterman was Late Night Ratings King.
The world was anticipating Beatles Rock Band.
Michael Jackson was still alive, believe it or not!
It was definitely a crazy time.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Luke 10:33
Previously I mentioned that I had a night of debauchery in downtown Toronto.
My friend and I decided to go to Toronto to see The Hangover and go to some bars after the film. The night started at Canyon Creek as we decided to get a quick pint. The Steam Whistle on tap was delicious. We then had to hurry back to the Go Station. I was for the record against going to Canyon Creek. I actually saw one of my former peers in journalism, Mike H. a kid that can't handle his liquor. I did not make eye contact as I did not want to have a discussion with the individual and well I was on a time line.
The train trip in was decent. No major delays or anything to report on. Some nice ladies on the train, but, I am not interested in them. All they had was the looks and no depth to them. That's likely because I didn't talk to them and what not. Anyways, some of you "imaginary" readers might know what I mean.
We arrived at The Scotiabank Theatre with time to spare. After getting my child ticket (I don't pay for regular priced) from the automated machine, we left and headed to Jack Astor's.
At this junction the friend of mine saw some girl he knew Julie. He introduced me to her and I was like yeah she's all right in my head. I know he liked her and she obviously did not reciprocate the feelings. So what does a good friend like me do? Deliberately flirt with her and well I got some positive feedback back. However, it was not serious on my part. I was not interested in this Julie lady at all.
Anyways, the movie was good.
We proceeded to walk up towards College Street. However, we took Queen Street until we reached some asshole street that we took up to Sneaky Dee's. On the way we stopped at the Bovine. There was some outlandish Colonel Sanders hippie guy outside smoking and he was clearly drunk. Later he came in and it was interesting watching this guy cause he was far gone.
The trek to College was easy and Sneaky's had a decent crowd. I downed the pitcher pretty easily with my pal. He was sort of a pussy drinker. At every junction of the night I was owning him and not an utter despicable drunken mess. At best, I was buzzed. We left and went on our journey to Spadina.
I saw the Red Room and we proceeded to make a brief stop for some alcohol. Now the real adventure begins after we left the Red Room.
As we are walking I notice at 12:00 o'clock, 20 feet in front of us is a not so happy individual. He is kicking any cardboard, mailboxes, signs that get in his way. He scares a couple, I think asking them for a cigarette and they scurry away quickly. I know that keeping our distance is best. My friend decides to cross the street instead. Our walk continues and it starts raining, which is phenomenal. The guy continues his rampage on anything that comes in his way. Meanwhile we pass a police cruiser and they seem to be taking no interest in the man destroying shit.
Eventually, we have a safe distance between us on the other side of the street. I am not too concerned as I can handle my own and have assessed the situation and it's not that huge of a threat. We proceeded to cross the other side of Spadina as I wanted to go to McDonald's before we decided to cross before. My friend decides to wait outside and I find it kind of ironic as he is the one worried about some guy that is acting like King Kong with cardboard boxes and mailboxes. He comes in while I am ordering telling me that he's almost here and I was like so? Nothing is going to happen. He leaves again and comes back. This time Mr. I Hate Cardboard & Mailboxes comes in. He proceeds to order his meal and is clearly not all there. The pussy friend decides to leave and wait outside. I mean statistically there was a bunch of people inside McDonald's if this guy was going to go apeshit on anyone the odds are against him. On top of the fact, he isn't kicking people or McDonald's patrons around as a substitute for cardboard and mailboxes.
He orders a Big Mac meal. Then he proceeds to look through his pocket for his money. The one hand looks in his left blue jean pocket and nothing. He begins to fiddle around in his right. I proceed to take out the six something that the meal costs and pay for it. Now why would a stranger like me do that? Well I did ask my friend in a joking manner why he was so angry walking down Spadina Avenue. What's King Kong's problem? He wasn't a big guy for the record. Also, I could tell he wasn't in a good place. Most people would say fuck that and be all scared and try to mind their own business and live in their bubble. I clearly did not need the six dollars as much as that man did. Why not? Why not, do something nice? So I bought his meal for him and perhaps that made the night a bit better. Maybe, it will influence his outlook on life. Who knows? The point is that good people do exist in this world. I am not a saint, however, from time to time I'm a Good Samaritan.
It turns out he was in the drunk tank earlier and what not. We honestly had short conversation. He shook my hand and thanked me . I said you know what it's nothing don't worry about it. It's how I have always been. I don't expect good things or good karma or anything through any good samaritan action. I do it because I have a conscience and have concern for all of humanity.
For instance when I bought a lady a thing to make them hopefully smile in a not so good situation they were in. I didn't do it because I kissed her or to say I really like you or the whole pick me, pick me. It was done just to perhaps put a smile on her cheeks nothing more or less.
As I left the McDonald's my pal proceeded to ask me why did I do that? I said that it was my choice and honestly did I need the six dollars that much? I perhaps helped diffuse some of the individual's anger and it was the right thing to do in my eyes, in my conscience and my ideals.
I try to have integrity and live by ideals that have been ingrained in my body for so long that I don't even know where they came from.
Perhaps, part is from Atticus Finch the character created by Harper Lee is someone to strive to be. That line of stepping in one's shoes is something I have always tried to do.
Maybe you will as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment