Are you kidding me?
No!
Back in June of 2009, a crazy strain of influenza called H1N1, spread like those California wildfires! The H1N1 was considered a pandemic by world health authorities.
Finally, Michael Jackson was still beating death, with his moonwalk!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
The night I got beatIt was the year 2007 and I had decided to step out of my cocoon. Ambition is something I've always had, just like Macbeth, minus the whole murdering numerous people.
I can't believe I have never blogged about this. Perhaps, the pain was worse than any break-up I've ever had. The kick in the stomach I would say is equal to the one I felt recently. Alas, I said I wouldn't talk about that subject. I will talk about anything, but I won't talk about that!
In my humblest opinion, I believe it took so much out of me as I put my complete heart into the Vice President of Sheridan Student Union, candidacy.
From day one, the project was my undertaking. Thankfully, I had some help from the required signatures three hundred signatures, by fellow peers signing my nomination form.
There was a plan devised up in my blue eyes. I would of course mix an ambitious policy and implement the use of some popular culture aspect for my V.P. posters.
Personally, my vision of the Student Union government under my guidance as Vice President would have been more transparent (releasing a budget they withheld from the students), environmentally friendly and pressure the school to implement more environmentally friendly policies.
My competition was between an experienced student body representative and me a newcomer with a flame in his eyes. I believe the lady name was Natalie Fasano and she was Director Of Awareness or something like that.
From the get-go I would have an uphill battle. My resources were all coming from within. I did not have a list of contacts that I made previously that would help me with posters and what not. There was also I believe a one hundred dollar limit that you could spend on posters and any other supplies. I clearly broke that rule. I felt it was an unfair rule as clearly my competition had leverage.
The reason I took journalism was I wanted to get rid of some shyness I had and I legitimately thought it was a way into the entertainment business.
As the two-week campaign progressed, I grew increasingly comfortable at telling people what I was all about and the changes I wanted to make. I still was nervous as hell at times and well the sweaty palms were still present, glad I didn’t shake that many hands.
The day of the election I was nervous as hell. This would be the deciding day. Would this battle be simply a popularity contest? Or would ideas and dreams prevail?
I appreciated everyone that did vote for me. Especially those in my program.
In my teens, I discovered two literary geniuses that appealed to me. These quotes I hold to the highest regard and I have adopted them to the core of my soul. The first would be from George Bernard Shaw, “Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?" The last one would be an excerpt from the amazing poem Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.” I still believe in those even in my darkest hour. If I lose those ideals I don’t know what will become of me.
I had a second year Journalism student watch the counting of the votes. At the end of the night, the news came. They were not supposed to reveal who won, but obviously people did. I swore I wouldn’t say anything. I learned that I lost though I believe it was 650 to 300 or worse.
I definitely was taken down a notch. The next day, I decided not to go to school. As I didn’t want that fake sympathy of aw sorry you lost et cetera. While at home, I contemplated what went wrong and how I was going to get over this loss. It did take me until second year journalism to get over this defeat. I generally avoided people who I recognized or recognized me as that guy they voted for or who ran for the Student Union election. Luckily, my peers did not touch on the subject matter that much. I don’t know if I was that bitter about it, it just hurt a lot. I had put an enormous amount of sweat and time in this project. My marks did suffer, by choice of course, as I decided to run. I guess I was naïve that ideas would prevail.
Needless to say, I discovered another poem by Mr. Frost, The Road Not Taken. The following helped me out greatly, “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth… I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
It was a tough defeat to handle and there would be more around the corner. Now I don’t want you my imaginary readers to feel pathos for me, I don’t care for that. At night I don’t cry about the cards dealt to me. I really don’t feel sorry for myself as well. I just put passion and my complete heart into what I strongly believe in. Sometimes you win and when you do it’s the greatest feeling in the entire universe. It could be an unexpected kiss on a first date or two hands raised above your shoulders in the sign of victory. When that feeling hits me it’s the greatest high I can ever have. I hope one day I will be able to feel it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment