Thursday, 12 November 2009

Liberté, égalité, fraternité!

I try not to write that many blogs that I consider really personal. Sure, I might talk about my pussy feelings over some lady or what happened one night. Although, I don't consider those to be that personal where I have a citadel around me, so bear with me with this one.

Below you will find my honest thoughts of a day that has come and gone. I think of it though not just on one day. However, since it is the one day that collectively people pay attention, I thought I would share my opinion.

Am I patriotic? Not really. Look at that John Donne quote as to what I am if anything. After that take a glance at Luke 10:33. End it off with a little Atticus Finch from Harper Lee's: To Kill A Mockingbird and you can get a glance of some beliefs I hold dear. The previous mentioned beliefs and liberté is part of my foundation that can never be broken even with the strength of Samson.

Even with this brief confession, 'tis only a fraction of what I am. It's a glance, never will I let someone see the whole picture.

The 11th of November is in the past now.

I am trying to get my sleep back on schedule from that Friday debacle.

My friend Nichole deleted me off facebook, like I deleted her once. She was mad I didn't apologize about Friday, but, really it was her miscommunication.

I read an amazing op-ed in the Toronto paper that Hemingway worked for, also, know as The Toronto Star.

The use of liberté, reminded me of the French saying we learned in my amazing WWII class at Wilfrid Laurier from January until April. An amazing time this year.

It also reminded me of the fact that in life somethings are worth dying for and for liberté, I would shed my blood.

I was reminded by Frank Buckles as well. I was inspired to try and get an interview after reading a New York Times, op-ed by Rick Rubin. That editorial really had an affect on me.

"It’s hard for anyone, I imagine, to say for certain what it is that we will lose when Frank Buckles dies. It’s not that World War I will then become history; it’s been history for a long time now. But it will become a different kind of history, the kind we can’t quite touch anymore, the kind that will, from that point on, always be just beyond our grasp somehow. We can’t stop that from happening. But we should, at least, take notice of it," - Rick Rubin, New York Times.

I was so honored to interviewed him in 2007. Did it beat shooting the Dalai Lama, and shaking his hand, sitting front row at the press conference? I would say I don't know. Frank Buckles, is the last WWI veteran in all of North America. This is of course in the sense that he was on the Western Front, even though it was as an Ambulance driver. He had his basic training. Our Canadian veteran that is still alive didn't have his basic training or went overseas. I loved hearing how he lived in Toronto, briefly. Just the way the way he talked and how at 106 he was all there.

I thought of him today and if he was part of any ceremonies for Veterans Day, in West Virginia or Washington, D.C.

Last year he was honored by President Bush. I enjoyed watching the snippet on CNN.

As I watched the television clip of the ceremony. I appreciated the fact that the Prince of Wales, was on hand at Remembrance Day, in Ottawa. I am not a monarchist, but, I feel it is a essential part of our Canadian history, to keep our tradition. We should not try and become a republic like the United States of America. We need our distinctive Canadian history.

I then thought of how my Grandfather received a medal by King George VI.

Also, I thought of my Great-Great Uncle that fought at the Battle of Vimy Ridge, in those fifteen minutes what was going on? Was he blown up? How did he die? As he never returned.

I know his name is in the Peace Tower in Ottawa.

I plan on going to France next year. I will want to go to Vimy Ridge and look for his name or grave. When was the last time flowers were placed on his grave? Was it just a formality? Or did someone see his name and say hey I was related to him. I know there are relatives in Scotland that never came over to Canada. Did their children know about him? I think about my Great-Great Grandmother in Scotland receiving the news of her son's death, how devastating it must have been. Am I the only Mac that remembers besides my Grandfather and Mother? I don't think my cousins would think twice. I feel it is imperative to know where you come from. So I asked myself today who thinks about William Mac [leaving out the last part of the name]? I know I did today.

More importantly I thought of my Grandfather. He is truly one of my select few heroes and a person I strive to be an ounce like. It will likely be nearly impossible. I try though. I keep trying.

I remember his nickname he had during the war.

I suppose my Grandfather might be why I want to go to France so much. I would want to walk in Marseilles where he was so many years ago, of course a lot has changed.

Afterwards, I would want to see Gibraltar like he saw it.

Walk on the beaches of Sicily like he did.

Wild Bill is what they called you, as you didn't fear anything. I of course call you my hero and more importantly you're my Grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment