Now before we begin let me first off say I am not a fan of the Soviet Union or believe in what they did. Under specifically Stalin a lot of people died in the U.S.S.R. The neo-communists tend to ignore that aspect. Whenever I see a sickle and communist star I cringe.
I believe in capitalism to a degree. I guess I am what they call a fan of more of a welfare state that looks after all, is that neo-Trudeau?
So I stopped by my Grandfather's today. He needed some medication picked up and I helped him set the clocks and what not. Apparently, my morbidly obese Uncle was away driving my cousin and his friend to some concert in Ottawa, Ontario or Montreal, Quebec. I was told that my cousin's friend left his Jeep in the driveway. Mind you, it was a new model. I thought to myself so they could drive down but, could not drive themselves to the concert?
I went to the local I.D.A. Pharmacy and got the prescription and came back.
I stayed a bit and he talked about Friday when he was at the Lord Nelson for his birthday dinner. I kind of forgot to wish him a happy birthday, sort of felt like a dick about that. However, I decided it would be awkward tenfold to kind of wish him a belated birthday. I honestly, don't think that makes me a bad person either.
Apparently, Ron Joyce the former owner of Tim Horton's was there. I guess he mentioned to my Grandfather that he owns two private jets, a yacht and other goodies, like his Rolls Royce that wouldn't start that night. I said to him I really don't understand having a lot of that stuff. I mean do you really need it?
Then Mr. Braley was brought up. My morbidly obese Uncle is good friends with his son Ron. So they tend to go out a lot. I got the story on how Mr. Braley donated $100 million or something to McMaster Hospital. Also, about owning the Toronto Argonauts and B.C. Lions. It didn't impress me though. I said well that is fine but, how did he make all that money? was it because of exploiting his workers? He donated $100 million dollars that's all right but, was it merely an ego boost, especially due to the fact he graduated from McMaster University, years ago.
It was mentioned that Prime Minister Stephen Harper offered him a Senate seat. He told me that Mr. Braley turned it down as he could make $165,000 dollars in a day; instead of in a year.
I just said well, if he is donating money for the right reasons that's good.
I did say though it didn't impress me. I mentioned that I used to believe that being very wealthy would be amazing. However, when so many people are suffering not only within our borders, but, outside of them I could never justify to myself being that wealthy and not giving the majority of it away. Not because it is a nice thing to do, but, because I belief it is the right thing to do.
After leaving my Grandfather's on my cellphone I received a call from my mother. I answered the phone and had a brief conversation on what happened. There was a mention of the story above and apparently I am jealous. I did not agree with this statement. I said I am happy having not a lot of money. I know I've earned what I have.
I just don't understand how a country that has the means to wouldn't help eradicate poverty and injustice amongst its people and beyond our borders. It is why I am against Conservatives in Canada.
They don't realistically believe in helping others. It is cut, cut, cut and tax breaks for the entitled.
The thing that really baffles me is when the majority of these Conservatives claim to be Christian. I don't recall that Jesus dude being a self-preserving capitalist that was only concerned about his own well-being. Maybe, I missed a couple of passages though, I could be wrong after all (sarcasm).
It's not like I am apathetic to politics. I just don't believe anyone really wants to change things for the greater good. It is cynical.
I guess that I have lost faith in humanity.
Sunday, 14 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The conservative ideal of taking care of your friends and fuck everybody else is archaic. In a thousand years, however or social systems are set up while most of us are living way longer than we were born to with robotic limbs and shit, I just can't see a futuristic society surviving in a way that is very tribal and primitive.
ReplyDeleteI mean I'm no asshole that walks around with a Che Guevara shirt and talks of revolution like I know something but social classes within different groups will always be there, in fact I'd say we kind of need it to make progression. Yeah, I mean look at Warren Buffet. He drives a regular car to work, lives in a regular home right in the middle of Omaha and well I don't know how much money he donates but from what I understand he's just good at investing and he doesn't use his wealth to all the sudden change what makes him happy in life in order to compete with all these other dudes.
It's always some kids in their 20's making 6 figures that flaunt their shit like they're rich when Warren Buffet makes more money in one day than they do in a year.
Anyway, to summarize these random thoughts.. I think it's imperative that we do what we can within our own power to help out those who need it because the ones at the top with the most power will rarely do it and when they do its largely out of making their own image look good and not sincere philanthropy.