Tuesday, 11 June 2013

The Life She Would Have Lived

Walking down the road way, it can't be seen. 
Hidden beneath the old trees. 
It is where she will be. 
Overgrowth and weeds, cover the memories.
Under a tree is where she will be. 
 Under a tree never to be seen, is where she'll be.
 The tragedy is she's under a tree.

The narrow cemetery road leads to where she remains. 

It is hard to find her in a place that keeps alive the memories of the others that have departed. 

I was brought to the cemetery to visit King's grave, once again. Prior to that, I told a lady about visiting the cemetery and she informed me about this murdered girl's grave. The lady named Mona (Not her real name, but if you're smart you'll know it), told me she searched to no avail. I had read up on the case when I was informed of the individual. The stomach turning feeling of disgust shifted into shock as I read the circumstances surrounding this child's demise. 

Mona informed me she could not find the grave. I thought this was a case of simply someone not trying hard enough. That wasn't the case as would be seen by me.

This time, I had ventured to this quiet place of somewhat peace with a friend. 

We walked amongst the graves looking for the name of the tragic departed.

Nothing could be found. 

The person I was with suggested to drive slowly and they'll look again as they walk up the road. 

Then it hit me. A weird sensation possessed me. I walked under the overgrowth near a tree and there it was. I knew it was her grave marker, even though nothing could be seen. As I bent down my intuition had been correct.

My hands were collecting dirt as I was taking away: the weeds, and the dead leaves.

A sense of disgust overcame me.

She was only eleven years old when she was abducted at Varsity Stadium.

The sub-human raped her, and then murdered her.

Eleven years old. A daughter, a sister, a niece, and a granddaughter.

They walked around freely for a decade. A decade, before being brought to justice.

When they killed this innocent child, the sub-human was out on parole from prior convictions of rape. 

During the trial in 1996, the previous convictions were not admissible in court. 

Twenty five years without parole they received.

What about Alison?

She could have been so much: an Olympian, teacher, activist, politician, feminist, doctor, social worker, mother, engineer,  aunt, scientist, grandmother, the sky's the limit at her potential and what would've achieved. 

Never did she get the chance to fall in love or maybe get married. Let alone go to High School and then University, and afterwards, travel the world. 

A vile individual took that all away.

They deserve to rot away in jail for the rest of their days on this planet.

He dumped her body like she was worthless trash. 

There is no rehabilitation for this person. They're a repeated offender with prior: rape convictions, assault, fraud, burglary, and theft. In 2024 they could be set free. 

Twenty five years he received for destroying a life. It just didn't destroy one life but numerous lives.

Standing near the grave my thoughts shifted to the pain inflicted on the family and friends. The darkness that crept into these peoples lives. Has part of it gone away? Or does it reside there day to day, never going away?

As my hands cleared away the debris, the bell tolled for me, it tolls for us all. Her name finally could be seen underneath the tree. As the bell tolls for thee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment