Tuesday, 4 December 2012

You Cannot Be Serious Tim!


With the Provincial Liberals being in the middle of their leadership race, it has allowed for the Opposition Leader Tim Hudak to share his wonderful opinion on issues. One that caught my attention was his stance on the LCBO and the Beer Store.

Citation: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1297301--we-ll-allow-beer-liquor-in-corner-stores-tim-hudak-says

Time to digress a little here.

Ontario Provincial Politics, is a bore to me. As I don't like anyone on that scene. Dalton McGuinty is a quitter and a robot. Seriously the guy had no charisma at all. He benefited mainly from circumstance. Being at the right place. As many will remember Mike Harris ruined the province (I have a soft spot for him though) and then Ernie Eves had a lame duck session for a bit.

Before that we had Bob Rae. He was dealt a bad hand. Many people remark that oh he ran a deficit up and et cetera. However, they always fail to take into account that he was dealing with a pretty serious recession at the time. I've always found it hilarious when NDP members attack him on said matter or bash him.

Let's see the amazing policies Tim Hudak has been for: 

- Faith based schools, he was proud of being pro that while supporting John Tory (I like that cat by the way).  Now faith based schools not really appealing to your conservative base, are you Tim? I believe he has flip-flopped on that issue and no longer for it.

- Ambiguous position on Abortion rights. He signed a petition against it and then during the election he later claimed he may have done this and didn't give his position if he was pro choice or pro life. 

- Chain-gang workers. Mister Hudak wanted to have provincial prisoners work on cleaning roads and what not. Not realizing this would cost a crap load of money and be not-fiscally conservative at all.

- Allow for Privatization of Liquor and Beer sales and Ontario Lotteries and Gaming.

This brings us to the last point mentioned above. 

Now he is favour of liquor and beer being available in every corner store and super market. Opening the market up wide. As well as the OLG. 

The problem with this all is you lose a crap load of revenue coming in to the Ontario Government. 

Where are you magically going to get all that lost revenue?

Then one would need to monitor these grocery stores and corner stores, selling liquor and beer now. Guess what that costs money. In turn that eats up revenue. 

As well as the fact that the government is responsible for OLG. Since in the Criminal Code of Canada it states that the provinces must conduct and manage lotteries and gaming. 

What I can't understand is how Tim Hudak after leading in the polls last year and having a substantial lead on Dalton McGuinty, then losing said lead, is still the Progressive Conservative leader.

His OLG and LCBO ideas are moronic at best. Where are you going to come up with the revenue from privatizing or selling said businesses? 

It just doesn't make sense. 

One has got to be a moron if they think they will make up the billions of dollars the LCBO provides the Government of Ontario, by allowing other places in Ontario to be allowed to sell liquor and beer.

If I was a leader of a party I would lobby for the legalization of marijuana. 

I don't partake in the substance. It is not as bad as alcohol. Furthermore, the revenue it would generate by it being regulated by the Government would be enormous. 

Instead one has an idiot leader like Tim Hudak who beats the drum of privatizing liquor and beer sales. 

I just hope people remember that next time an election happens. 

Another thing that bugs me about politics in this country is the lack of independence that MPs and MPPs. 

Many of these Members of Parliament and Provincial Parliament, just toe the party line. They act as members of the party and keep to their talking points, rather than standing up for the people that elected them, their constituents. 

I've never been able to drink the kook-aid. I am skeptical. I don't buy into the hype. So I can't understand why these people do. Just so they can be a representative and have the backing of their political party? I think it serves their people better if they stand up for issues they believe in regardless of the consequences they would face from the leadership in their rank. After all, they are elected by the people not the party.

Provincially though, I know I won't be voting for: the Progressive [ly getting worse] Conservatives, the Liberals (that like to prorogue because our leader's involved in a couple of scandals) or the NDP (we ruined Ontario once, but they did have their reasons).

Looks like I might be voting for the Green Party for once, come the next election. 

No comments:

Post a Comment