Tuesday, 4 December 2012

I expected way better

My fondness of True Religion jeans occurred years ago when I bought a pair of Joeys. It would have been in the year of our lord 2006.

Urban Outfitters actually carried brands that weren't "la terrible".

I remember going upstairs to the newly renovated second floor men's section.

Then when I put them on it was like Burt Bacharach was singing: "I'll Never Fall In Love," as I saw them and walked out of the store with my new purchase, with the summer Toronto air shining on me.

I wore those jeans a lot. The flare on them was mighty nice. It also looked good on my buttocks too. I imagined lots of ladies were going to cop a feel.

When I bought my Bobby pair at the Death Cab for Cutie concert in October of 2006, I was a little less impressed.

In this time frame, I researched the company. One fact I heavily enjoyed, is that the jeans True Religion manufactured, were made in the USA.

I've continued to buy True Religion Jeans. I am heavily impressed with the Joeys and Billys.

That all changed a bit when I went into one of their stores.

I was a little naive not to look at the labels of a plaid short sleeve shirt and pair of khaki shorts I bought. I assumed that these two products would be made in the USA as well.

After I ripped off the tags and wore them a couple times, I looked at the label and realized the shirt was made in India and the shorts were produced in Sri Lanka.

I thought to myself what a rip off.

Exhibit A

I paid $182.00 dollars this summer for cargo khaki shorts and $133.00, for a plaid short sleeve shirt, as shown in Exhibit A. 

My problem is these higher end companies like True Religion shouldn't be charging premium rates on a product that isn't made in the USA and being outsourced overseas for an inferior product. 

In September, I went to New York State and to a mall. They had a True Religion store there. I went in and saw some interesting products. I was now more skeptical as to where these products were made, minus the jeans of course. I found it rather ironic that they had a nice green long sleeve sweater, with an American flag on the shoulder, and it was produced in Turkey. 

I later went into the Urban Outfitters store at said mall and into the Men's section. Again the irony of numerous shirts showcasing one of the most beautiful flags in the world and none of said shirts were made in the USA. Most were produced in China. As I browsed in this store, I thought wow Urban Outfitters has really gone downhill since 2006. 

I don't know if that is the case for their stores in New York City, but in Toronto and Buffalo, those stores are crap. I end up leaving dejected every time. 

I like buying a product that was not made in a sweat shop, and in a country where they have great labour laws. Therefore, you know it is going to be a superior product than something made in China or India. 

People don't want to buy musical instruments that are made in China as they are of a lower quality, than ones made in the USA, Germany, or whatever the country the company was founded in and grew to prominence. 

I laugh at the fact hat Levi's jeans pride itself on being such a part of the American culture, yet the majority of their product line isn't even produced in the United States of America.

A company like them would argue it is cheaper and their product would be way more expensive. This argument is bullshit. They just want a bigger profit margin than providing jobs in their said country of origin. 

Now I do own some products that are made in countries that do not have adequate labour laws. I heavily enjoy my Burberry dark blue leather jacket. Too bad it wasn't made in the United Kingdom, but in India. I find it baffling that I shell out a substantial amount of cash on this "luxury brand" jacket and it isn't even made in Britain.

Luckily there are companies that try for the most part to make their products in the United States. For instance brands like Obey and New Balance. 

Speaking of New Balance they also manufacture shoes in the United Kingdom. 

It isn't to say that I expect the product to be made solely in the United States. I don't mind buying anything fashion wise made in: Canada (my home of homes), United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Norway, et cetera.

I expect as well that products I buy from Nikon will be made in Japan, as well.

What matters is I know I am purchasing a product where people are paid fair wages, it is of good quality and fair price. 

When True Religion charges me $133.00 dollars for shirt and $182.00 for khaki shorts, that's ridiculous and a rip off. 

Canada has a couple of companies of note. First would be, Canada Goose jackets and accessories are all made in Canada.  Second would be Naked & Famous their denim, shirts, cardigans and other accessories are produced in the Great White North.

All in all, it reminds me of being in my local Indigo store. I had seen this copy of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, with a water proof jacket. I thought wow this is a really nice edition of an American classic by Mark Twain. As I waited in the line up. I opened up the jacket and I read: Made In China. I subsequently left the line, put the book back on the shelf and purchased the non-water proof edition by Penguin (I think) that was a little more expensive and  Made in the USA. I may have blogged about this fact earlier. The book was for my niece. It had a nice cover as well.

I just found it ironic that such an American classic in culture and literature that I initially picked up to purchase was not made in the USA. To me that Made in China version was blasphemy.

Now again I am not a complete saint in regards to owning everything made in a place that gives out a superior product and made in country where they don't exploit their workers. I have been diligent lately with all clothing I buy from here on out.

As a person you either stand for something or you don't. The reality is investing in products produced in your own country helps your own economy. It is not hard to realize that the lack of jobs in places like the United State of America is because of outsourcing. Unions do play a role in the outsourcing part as well as do the owners, but that is another discussion for another time.

To conclude, for this one consumer. It matters where I buy my product. And True Religion has likely lost me as a loyal customer.  Hello Naked & Famous, I look forward to supporting your product lines.

1 comment: