The Toronto news and social media scene has been buzzing lately about Mister Ford's latest fork in the road. I thought why not offer my unsolicited advice on this matter?
The photo above was taken by me earlier this year.
Politically I am an independent. I have voted for every major party Provincially (excluding the Green's they ain't big). I don't adhere to a closed political frame work. I do like qualities in people I would never vote for. Stephen Harper I think is a political genius. So let's not digress anymore and talk about Mister Ford.
Rob Ford has some dents in his armour and here are some suggestions on how he could repair said dents.
He needs to correct some of his political gaffes and here is my advice, if I was his Political Advisor.
(1) Lesbian / Gay / Transgender / Bi Rights
Mister Ford has ducked away from the whole Pride festivities and his obligations as Mayor. Now do I think he is a homophobic gentlemen? No. Although, his skipping of those festivities is ridiculous. As a Mayor one should be there for all of its citizens. I mean he doesn't need to march in the parade in some provocative outfit. Show though that you care about all of your constituents. Also, those people are votes. There exists conservatives of all orientations. So why not embrace it and get some votes out of those people. You want to appeal to everyone and your base. The more votes the better.
Furthermore, Mister Ford prides himself on his football team that helps disadvantaged children, play the sport. Why not go around local schools and lend your support to children that are LBGT, that would garnish such good publicity. Then no one on the left could accuse him of being a right wing, out of touch buffoon that could be homophobic by his lack of attending any Pride related events.
Author's Note: for the record, I am a straight male and I support Gay Rights. One quote that I heavily like and I believe it not only applies to Gay people but anyone that is "different", is from Paul Newman: "I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant." A photo op of you going around at a local school talking to gay students, would be a splendid story and people on the left couldn't bash you to the extent they do.
(2) The Toronto Star
It is no secret that Mayor Ford and the Toronto Star have a huge feud. A lot of the editorial staff loathe the man. There was the reporter incident, which personally I can see his perspective being angry someone is snooping around his property. That was an overreaction. His feud though is selling papers and generating publicity for them. Not everyone that reads the Toronto Star is on the left of the spectrum either. So those readers are getting a largely negative projection of Mister Ford. Also, there is that old school saying: about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.
Overwhelm them with kindness, even if you hate their bias and what they stand for.
Advice: Arrange an interview with the most right winged individual at the Star and agree to do an interview. In fact, reach out to the reporter he chased off his property too. Show them you're a "changed man". They won't be able to slag you that much if you've become more open to their reporters and aren't "cocked pistol."
(3) Stop the polarizing chit-chatter
This means not resorting to the whole left wing folks as pinkos that are bleeding hearts and have it out for you. I doubt that everyone on the left are all the same. Likely some individuals of this political framework have voted for you. Also, it denigrates your argument when you go on about these folks having it out for you, whether it is in the media or other outlets. It isn't saying a bias doesn't exist. I am sure one does. I never read about David Miller getting such a whiplashing.
Advice: Stop the bashing of the individuals on the left. Some such members of that political leaning might vote you and become turned off by your constant ranting on them. The fact of the matter is you're in your current predicament, because of acting too much like a rebel without a cause. Your new cause should be sticking it to the people that want you out of office, by winning the 2014 election due to a resurgence in your popularity, being a "changed man", that wants a city with fiscal conservative policies and being a mayor for the people that did and didn't vote for you. If individuals on the left keep attacking you due to your new found ways, they'll look like a bully or people that lack self-esteem. No one hugs a bully.
(4) Accept whatever judgment occurs
If you lose the appeal process, tell the city of Toronto and the people that voted for you, that you'll be back and fight even harder for them. Don't accuse the judiciary system as being a bunch of pinko wackos who have it out for you. You'll look like a nut job who believes in conspiracies and wears tin-foil hats.
(5) Show your comedic side
When "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" came to your residency and you called the cops, you looked paranoid. No one likes spontaneous, we got him interviews. My advice is have a member from 22 Minutes or Rick Mercer interview you at your residence. For comedic effect, before they arrive decorate your office with Ford items such as: Harrison Ford portrait, John Ford movie posters, Ford automotive products, Gerald Ford portrait and a painting of a Fjord.
(6) Get in better shape
Everyman loves their steak and lobster. Being in better shape for 2014 will give you more energy. It will help your longevity. When you've lost a lot of weight, you'll be in a better position mentally and physically. The dividends it pays is great. Focus on it.
(7) Go To Anger Management Therapy
Some people think you're a hot head that is ready to explode at any minute. Personally, I don't know. Your track record in the press isn't great. So go to anger management therapy and see what it is like.
(8) Keep the phone at bay while driving
People of all political colours use a phone while driving. Personally I find it moronic. Buy a blue tooth or put it at bay. Nothing you have going on in conversation is that important, where you need to risk your life or someone else because you were distracted. Hell I would have given the finger to that mom and kid, if they told me to get off the phone and I was using it. Had they said please, maybe I wouldn't have reacted in that way. I agree with your lack of driver. If you had one it would show you have money to burn and wouldn't look so conservative and being the everyman Mayor image you want. Bluetooth that shit or keep it at bay. The microscope you're under is a lot worse than it was before.
(9) Promote an issue not normally associated with your political framework
Best advice here would be being in favour of legalizing pot. Speak of the money that the city of Toronto would generate if the Federal government finally legalized a substance no worse than alcohol. If history serves me correct you were caught with it in Florida, so you're clearly familiar with it and not against the use. You would garner also voters that wouldn't normally vote for you as well. Likely they would, whoa he wants to cut the excesses in office and has a cool stance on pot. I'll vote for him versus a candidate that doesn't have the guts to speak out on this issue.
(10) Drill baby drill
Stick to your guns on subways. However, pressure your pals in Federal government to send funding to the City of Toronto. If they don't agree to help, call them out on it. Breach of the merits of a city having a subway system. Make it your legacy to expand the subway system so Toronto can be a world class city like: New York, London and Paris. All of which have a vibrant subways. Hell make a video in favour of them starting in a subway eating a sub and exiting said place while talking to the camera about the virtues of a city having a great public transit system.
(11) Campaign for a Second Toronto Hockey Team
When hockey resumes. Promote having another team come up to a hockey city like Toronto. You'll get a lot of support of a large fan base and will get some votes from that as well. Heck bring along Stephen Harper in the promotion of another team coming to Toronto. He is a big hockey fan. Also, talk about how it will generate a lot of revenue for the City and provide jobs.
To conclude, you need a reworking of how you operate politically. None of this stuff is too radical for your political framework. Adopting such methods would show you're truly a Mayor for all of Toronto and not just your base. Also, by being more approachable and a more laid-back man, you would then be branded more into the comeback kid and underdog category. People love comeback stories and like cheering for someone in such predicament. Plus you wouldn't be viewed in the disgraced politician category.
No comments:
Post a Comment