Monday, 21 February 2011

The day I became The Comeback Kid

It was the year 2009.

I had gone on a date with the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Her name was unique and the last name of the fourth President of the United States of America.

The date was a solid early March surprise. At the end of it, I was expecting the standard James handshake. However, as she came a little closer and we'll let's just say she was an amazing kisser.

Then she had some legitimate problems she had to deal with. So our second rendezvous would not occur for a while.

One day, she texted me about some amazing drink and to try it out. It was an invite to her work. I felt awkward here as I don't like going to people's work. However, I did fill out an application at her work to initially ask her out, hence the first date in early March.

It wasn't in the plans to go out again it seemed. Personally, I was kind of let down. We had some solid conversations in between and the initial date was a smashing success.

Fast forward it is early June. I am suppose to hang out with my friend Nichole in Oakville. We are suppose to meet at her place with the time that was arranged.

I pull up to the front of her driveway. Text message her and no reply. "Weird," I say to myself. Then I go knock on her door. No response. I wait 2 minutes and ring the door bell. No response. Fucking hell I am a cantankerous old man now! I proceed to drive to the QEW and head home.

Incoming call for my Onstar. "Hello?" "Can I borrow 300 dollars?" my sister said. "Sure you can, just pay me back," James said.

Secretly this has brought me at an all time rage level. Detour to Oakville Place hurray!

I proceed to enter the building from the second floor. I like having an eagle's eye view of what lies below. I head towards the escalator. "It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood is sarcastically being played in my head."

As I proceed closer to the escalator our eyes lock. My response to seeing the lady I had a successful date with and some great conversation inbetween, was "Are you fucking me?"

I had never expected to see her again. I must admit she looked as good as the day I saw her and she was with a friend. I proceeded to head down the escalator. I made mental notes to myself: "Don't look back you can never look back [Thanks Don Henley] and "Make sure you don't walk too fast, you don't want her to perceive you as being scared."

I walked towards the Bank of Montreal, yeah! Needless to say I was not in a state of equanimity.

I withdrew the amount and proceeded to head back to my car up the escalator.

Truthfully, in between my miserable day and rage, I had a peaceful easy feeling seeing her again. Perhaps, I should have talked to her, I said to myself.

"Does that shit happen often?" I thought to myself. I mean I really never expected to see her for the rest of my life.

Turns out dialogue was reached again and we went out again.

My sister went into labour the night that our second date was planned. I went from McMaster Hospital to pick her up from Oakville.

The conversation was awkward at first. I did dig her golden shoes though.

Just happened to be at the Sound of Music festival in Burlington. Before hand we went to the Rude Native for drinks.

At the end of the night, I went in for the kiss and my invading forces were well received.

That was the last time I saw her.

We did eventually become facebook friends again and twitter pals. The last time we had any form of communication was last year. [Not anymore]

This was one of the times that I became The Comeback Kid, in my opinion.

I have not been in a situation like this since. [Seeing a person I never expected to see again.]

No comments:

Post a Comment