Earlier, in the afternoon I was at a Bank of Montreal at Landsdowne in Toronto.
Now some homeless person was trying to get in and had no luck. Maybe it was the booze or drugs?
So I thought whatever, ignore the dude.
Then I am at the ATM taking out some money and he asks me for money. I tell the individual sorry, I'm a student. You think he would have got the hint? Well no. He asked again and I could smell the cigarettes. I decided I'm going to "Jimney Land".
In "Jimney Land", I am able to shut off the entire world, by being in a state of silence.
Now did I feel a bit bad for this guy? Sort of.
However, I have never begged a stranger for money or asked for help. I have sustained myself on my own. I guess I have a lot of pride and would make sure I could never be in that situation.
It wasn't the typical get a job attitude. If the person wanted help they would have got it years ago. Well what about social services being cut? Still lots of other organizations that pitch in.
In conclusion, if someone I know could make it from an abusive situation in his early life, go on to be a decorated veteran and make something out of himself, well I'm not sorry if I lack some sympathy it has been a rough couple of months.
I remember when I was told the story about him freezing in the snow out in Saskatchewan. He was ten years old. Taking back supplies to the farm when his wagon tipped over. Spilling all of the goods he needed back at the ranch. No one to help him at all. Then he began to cry as he was freezing in the cold winter. He managed to get everything back together on the wagon and got back home.
No one helped him. Not a single person. He had to do it himself. That's my attitude. In this world, you can't rely on people or good things to happen for you. You have to do it yourself.
Sunday, 13 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment