Saturday, 16 February 2013

Just how safe is the T.T.C. Subway System?


Editor's Note: I wrote this late at night, so excuse any mistakes. Wow just noticed a huge error, yikes!

After the July 07, 2005 bombings in the London, England.  I wondered how safe Canada is.

The United Kingdom has dealt with the I.R.A. and Canada has dealt with the F.L.Q. during the October Crisis and the Air India bombing.

Now at the time I wasn't pondering the T.T.C. subway safety. I had hardly used it. One time I had used it when I went to Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto aka as Sars Stock in July 30, 2003. I got off at Downsview station for that.

Recently (using this in the historical sense), the Toronto Transit Commission has utilized an open concept subway train. Where six trains are joined together.

Those new subway trains have 3 cameras per train with a total of 18 on board. According, to the features on the T.T.C. website.

Cameras don't mean quick action security. Yes you can identify someone easily, but what good does it do after the fact?

Now here is my problem with the new T.T.C. trains.

The website doesn't list the safety of the trains. I mean video cameras are after the fact, anti microbial shindig is nice, but let's talk real safety.

After the events in September of 2001, one wonders what measures have been taken and if in Canada we have not been as alert. Maybe it is the classic, it can't happen here.

With the old T.T.C. trains you had separate trains with doors dividing them and a gap between said doors and the next train and its doors.

So I wonder if at Bombardier Transporation, they tested what would happen if the same amount of explosives on the July 07, 2005 bombings in London were used in Toronto on their new trains, to simulate the effects of shrapnel, fire and smoke.

One wonders if they didn't do that. If the T.T.C. tested the effects on the older model subway trains versus the newer ones.

I bet that the older T.T.C. subway trains would be a lot safer in the event a July 07, 2005 event occurred in Toronto.

Why? Well let's see smoke would travel easier in an open concept versus trains being separated by steel doors and a gap.

I would want those extra doors and gap in case of shrapnel and debris, too.

Separate trains definitely give you more protection and time.

It makes one wonder, how real the T.T.C. and Bombardier take a terrorist threat.

As automobile companies use crash test dummies on vehicles. I would wonder if Bombardier and the T.T.C destroyed a to scale subway train on a simulated track.

Now another area of concern I thought about is how long one can leave a bag on one of the new trains. I ask this as eighteen cameras are on said subway train. So how long does it take the T.T.C. to notice the bag and do something about it.

These are just many concerns I have. I hope that these answers exist before the fact instead of after the fact.

I don't mean to be an alarmist.

P.S. I will replace the photograph of my diagram with the scan tomorrow. Also, I may try and pitch this as a story idea. Clearly I would rework and edit this. On top of the fact of getting sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment