Saturday, 12 December 2015

I'll be August 8th 1974in'

I have two jobs, well maybe, that should say had instead of have.
You see one job pays a decent livable wage. And I've put in four years of service. The catch would be it is of a casual basis. Usually you get solid hours, but, depends on the season.

So in September I found myself in dire straits.

No ring-a-ling-dings from the decent paying jobs. Bills and expenses started to add up.

I needed a job.

So I got a job.

They were offering a terrible rate of pay (11 dollars). However, they did ask what did I expect? I knew I should high-ball. I suggest 14 dollars, they countered with 12 dollars. Ugh, I thought to myself. I do need money.

I accepted.

The first few days were weird.

I just hadn't worked a new job in forever. I thought, wow Charles Darwin must've hated a guy like me. Not adapting to change.

Eventually, I got the hang of it. The people were great.

However, the 8 hours of blasting music took a toll. For the first couple of weeks it was non-stop hip hop. I have nothing against that genre. However, listening to two individuals music got old fast. My powder keg moment came when a fellow co-worker named Gee Off had the Blue Jays playoff game on the radio. The two lovelies that blared their hip hop constantly, came back from lunch and switched off the game. The game was literally on for only 15 minutes. These chaps had their music on for four hours. I thought to myself really?

A person that trained me said I should speak to the manager named: Cage, about it. I thought yeah, no. I am not a rat, or a narc. As much as I hated the fact the game was turned off, I would not lower myself to being a tattle-tale.

I got back from lunch, and some lady mentioned something. It related to the game. I said I don't understand it. Are the two people in question just that fucking stupid or are they that arrogant, to think someone would want to listen to their music all day?

After that I went back to my job.

A couple weeks later someone else complained about the music situation, and we had a staff meeting about it. How everyone get an equal share and can listen to whatever they want.

Wow that's nice. .

Also, the manager Cage did not want to have to manage it. Basically, the lot of us had to sort it out. Cage should have implemented a sign up sheet, of equal time for workers in that area. Unfortunately, they could not be bothered with that. I guess that was too hands on for him.

I love the British Broadcasting Corporation. I've listened to the World Service for such a long time. One of my favourite shows is: HARDtalk with Stephen Sackur (And sometimes: Zeinab Badawi, Sarah Montague, and Carrie Gracie). Basically the interviewers grill their guest(s) on their views, politics, policies and other shindig. The gist of it interview asks tough questions that aren't soft ball.

I put on an interview. It touched on a political place in the middle east. Nothing controversial said. Just one persons view. Well it turns out that Cage, didn't like the person being interviewed and their viewpoints. Fair enough I thought. They (Cage) claimed it wasn't a real interview and that I need to take it off. I thought to myself, really?

We can listen to: homophobic, misogynist, and racist, rap. Yet, we can't listen to a simple interview challenging someone's views? I was told by a couple of co-workers prior to the censorship, that they were liking the interview.

Cage lost my respect. I thought so much for the you can put whatever you like on bullshit.

I was a little miffed for a while, but, continued on.

Our owner was in a mildly famous band. It was hair metal / rock. One day at work he used the word "faggot" to describe some football player. What they didn't know was one of the ladies they hired is gay, or maybe they did know but, used that word regardless. Needless, to say it offended her, and me for that matter. I have a friend that is gay, I know gay people, and you know what? It is the fucking 21st century, the word shouldn't be used. It is called acceptance. Cage was there during the use of this phrase and said nothing. Mind you, Cage is a 60 year old man. Not afraid to speak his mind most of the time. A decent fellow too, minus his censorship of the BBC.

I wasn't witness to the use of the f word. However, I did hear the owner call Michael Vick's pass attempt as "gay." Again, not the best word to use.

Another issue, is the treatment my co-worker Parker. Already she had to endure the offensive use of gay slurs to describe someone, and the homophobic rap. I don't think her sexuality defines her, so I won't mention it any further.

Parker likes emo, screamo, and pop punk styled music. A co-worker I like named Ponder hates it. Doesn't even hide the fact he hates it. Fair enough. He doesn't constantly go on about it. However, the two hip hop lovers do. Everyday it goes on they make a comment. Do I care for the music? Not really. Can I put up with it and you know have the confidence not to piss on it? Absolutely.

I just don't understand why you'd need to make fun of someone's music? A big difference I must say from hating on two people controlling the music player though.

I believe Cage mentioned the fact during the music meeting, that everyone can make fun of whatever someone puts on the music machine.

The fact is, only one person gets bugged about it. And it is Parker.

I remember one day the poor lady, went home crying. I believe it was a mixture of the fact her tunes got turned off, and some knee pain, but, still. I mentioned that I've been there with my BBC. And tried to make Parker feel better.

Also, I told her to ignore Ponder's comment about her "hot topic," tunes.

Needless to say the hate on Parker's music has continued by the two hip hop loving dudes and Ponder. She did mention how she hates Ponder, and the other two.

One would think a manager would kind of prevent this bullying / harassment at work. As really only one individual gets it.

Parker also has asked to be trained on different jobs. There is a specific section let's call it  Edvarding. Which is part of the same company, but they just pick orders and send them to individuals that ordered what they ordered. You get to sit down and place a sticker on a envelope with the receipt, and then put it in whatever country it is going to (usually it is a stack). Parker had previously helped out in this section (As have I).

Long story short, they've asked to be on the section, and then the most junior member of the staff just got put on it. Needless, to say Parker wasn't happy. Bad enough they have bad knees. It just made sense to put her there. They have a great work ethic as well. That kind of pissed me off, as I considered Parker a work pal.

I eventually told my job my other job started calling me again and I have to go in for assignments. They gave me an offer of what can they do to make it work? Well they can't pay me the same 26 dollar an hour rate. So really, they could do nothing. They also hadn't trained me on something else even though I had asked.

My mind was made up. I told them I intended to go back. Cage mentioned they would talk to the general manager about it.

Basically, they valued me as an employee or they liked my almost minimum wage / not a livable wage of 12 an hour, to give me three days off, but, to come in for Monday and Tuesday, like I offered.

I got a pretty sweet deal. In fact, some days when I wasn't at my well paying job, I got to do work at the decent work environment $12.00 an hour job.

That came to an end this Thursday. I got called for an assignment. It was for a month. Basically, I can make at least 4 months of my wage at this current job at my old well paying gig. Usually work lasts until mid February as well.

I messaged a couple of people about my situation.

Ultimately, I made the decision. I decided the money was too good to pass up. I can easily get another $12 dollar an hour job or accept a position from my friend who I worked with in the past at a couple of kitchens.

Now I have to type up an email.

As I won't be there on Monday this week coming up.

Also, I am a week short of being there for three months.

I suppose if they really wanted me and were willing to give me the one month sabbatical I would, consider it.

However, I don't like how they treat my worker friend Parker, or another colleague named Lennon. They got taken off a job after less than a week. Mind you, I wasn't happy they were training them on a different position, but, I understood it. As I could no longer commit five days to the job. Yet, if you want to keep someone around, you should maybe train them in different parts. If not why would they stick around?

On Tuesday of the week that just passed, I had a weird feeling that I knew I would be gone. My two co-worker pals told me at least you have that other gig. I told them they should look for other jobs too. Don't get comfortable. Also, telling them I didn't like how they were treated, especially Parker. One shouldn't have to put up with that shit at a $12.00 an hour job.

I haven't resigned in a while. It is worth the risk though. I won't be looking back, cause' I'm already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment