Saturday, 25 October 2014

Customer Service 101

Everyone knows the over used saying: "the customer is always right." Well that isn't what this is about. It isn't some intransigent individual pissing on an employee of a major corporation, because they felt wronged.

Just about customer service in a the ever connected world.

People like feeling important, that's a fact. They want to know their voices can be heard, and they don't want to go through a strenuous process.

I recently bought a pair of shoes from let's call the company: N Balance or New B. I was uber excited when they came to my doorstep. Black and silver these will look nice. I previously have been experienced with New Balance before. My other Minimus shoes lasted maybe a year before a hole developed in the bottom. This happened to two pairs of shoes. I thought ok, maybe it was my fault?

Literally, I used my new runners for not even a month, and I have a hole in the front. I thought to myself what the fuck is this? Really? I paid $100.00 for shoes that have lasted only a month. What poppycock tom foolery is this?

You see New Balance is a decent company. I say decent because they told me to ship the shoes back at my expense, and didn't answer if they would be sending me new ones or refunding me the money.

I use the shoes for running. I like running. Also, work related, but, I don't talk about my job.

I like New Balance because they still produce shoes of quality nature in the United States and in England. Many of their contemporaries have gone the sweat shop factory route. While they have still have a domestic base.

Now here is the contrast. I had bought a sweat shirt from Naked and Famous Denim. It cost me I would say over a hundred dollars. It showed signs of wear not too long. I thought that sucks. I have never had a problem with any sweat shirts from American Apparel. I went on with my daily routines, life moved on. I then decided to complain to Naked And Famous Denim. As I had just complained about my whole shoe problem to New Balance. Why not get them all out of the way, I thought to myself. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I would like to note that I have spent a lot of money with Naked & Famous. I love that they produce their clothing in Canada. All of my denim except three pairs of jeans are Naked & Famous. I have one collared grey shirt and a red (some claim it is pink, it isn't) cardigan and of course my charcoal / black sweat shirt.

I wasn't expecting much with my complaint to Naked & Famous. I expected this: "You've had the sweat shirt for a year, and decide to complain now? Go fuck yourself." Of course that would be done in a more PC way. However, I must say in my defense I don't climb fences or jump around and bust through doors and such. I take care of my clothing. Maybe, it is my mild OCD returning, but, I notice when I have rips or tears or holes in my clothing. I would notice if I was at fault. In this case, I had just a bad sweat shirt in a bunch of quality ones made.

To my surprise, they got back to me right away, and sent me an new sweat ship no questions asked. I didn't have to produce a receipt or have the hassle of sending back the old sweat shirt, and then wait for the new one. It was painless, and fast.

Naked & Famous valued that I have spent a considerable amount of money with their company. If I knew they had stocks, I would definitely invest in these cats. They didn't make me jump through hoops like a bear in the 1960s at a Circus. I thought wow that's a company. They value their customer, and want my future business.

You see that's what customer service is. Being as painless as possible, and hearing your consumers voice. Not making them go through a lot of bureaucracy and resolving the issue fast, fairly, and effectively.

New Balance could definitely learn a few lessons in customer service, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment