My musically awakening really occurred in the year 1999. I don't know why I flourished so late. As I was surrounded by music constantly.
For the record, the first album I bought was Billy Joel's: River of Dreams back in 1993, but it took some time to get where I am today.
Over the years I have been to lots of concerts. For the most part I have saved my concert ticket stubs as a memento.
This will be a self-indulgent undertaking and description of my thoughts that went on at each concert I attended and what I thought of the performance.
Artist / Venue / Date
Guns N' Roses / Air Canada Centre / Friday November 29th 2002
This was my first major concert I attended. I was on a Guns N' Roses binge for quite sometime. In the Axl versus Slash debate, I was in the Axl camp needless to say.
We were row 28 and I was seat 22. I had bought four tickets. One for my good next door neighbour friend whom I've known since grade 5, my former friend Mikey and this lady Kira that I had a thing for since forever ago.
I definitely invited her because I did like her and well she was a decent friend at the time. I would later make an off cuff remark that was just to prove a point and even though she accepted my apology, we haven't had a conversation in years.
The show started late of course.
Axl Rose came out in his corn rows and jerseys at the time. That was his fashion statement. He actually put on an amazing show. I was impressed with it and heavily enjoyed Buckethead.
I remember during Rocket Queen, that I went to grab a beer with Kira. Trying to be funny and flirtatious I spat out some beer after we passed some individual that one shouldn't laugh at.
During the show three people to the left of us were smoking up. The two ladies and the dude were passing their joint back and forth.
I remember Kira taking a hit from said joint.
What amazed me truly about the show was the energy Mister Axl Rose had. He was bouncing back and forth while running like a mad man.
My friend Kevin paid me for the ticket.
Kira said she would pay later. I was a little awkward out by that. My one friend Dave who wasn't even at the concert, always asked for the next while if she had paid me yet for the show. She never did pay for the 76.00 ticket.
It was fine in my book.
Maybe it was my liking of her that prompted the laissez-faire attitude.
The highlight of the show was Madagascar, such a phenomenal song. I did enjoy the Asshole piano intro during November Rain.
Mix Master Mike and CKY opened the show.
I know the lady I have mentioned brought up on occasions the fact I gave her my only Mr. Big and she always liked that for some reason. What I respected a lot about her was in Calgary during 2001, she stood up for me infront of my one friend's bitch of a girlfriend at the time. I mean one could have just stayed silent and not become the Mayor of Awkardtown. She stood up for me, after someone was insulting me. So she doesn't know that and likely never will, but I always respected her for that. Something little like that I can remember literally 11 years later.
I mean this seems like an ode to her, but really writing about this concert brings up those memories.
This marks an end to the first of many more concerts to come.
Until next time...

No comments:
Post a Comment