Wednesday, 6 November 2013

I'll buy what I want, thanks! (The Importance of trying to buy well made products)

**Updated**

For the record, I have not been paid by anyone to do this. 

Today it is hard to find products that are made in Canada.

What really baffles me is when I see some individuals with car stickers saying: "Out of work yet?, Keep buying foreign." Usually this is on cars of automobile union workers. The irony is the companies that build the cars are foreign as they're American Automotive manufacturers. Last time I checked, Canada does not have any Canadian owned automotive company. Now I am not pissing on the automotive unions, just pointing out the outlandishness. This is why it is outlandish, how many of those workers truly buy Canadian made products. Do they go to Canadian owned grocery stores? What about Canadian owned clothing companies? What about Canadian owned hardware stores? What about Canadian owned travel companies? What about Canadian owned petroleum stations? I think you get the point.

Then when they're in those Canadian owned stores, do they look at where the products are made? I highly doubt it. They likely go to Walmart, Target, or some other big box store, trying to get the best deal while wanting you to support their product. Now if some of those individuals with those sticker badges buy local, and make an honest effort all the power to them. However, I feel like that just isn't the case. Now I am not saying one should 100% support just Canadian companies, but if you're going to be so bold and have a holier than thou attitude at least back it the fuck up.

You'll have a place like Roots that will only make select clothing in Canada. I believe it is just shoes, and leather jackets. Those Roots made in Canada shirts are definitely not made here. They use some lame excuse on why they don't manufacture their shirts, denim and other products here. 

Then you'll have a company like the Hudson Bay Company, which is a Canadian stable, that produces all its gear in China. Cheap labour, fuck quality is what it says. 

Personally, I strive to buy products that are made in their renowned country of origin. I like American Apparel, the founder is from Quebec and the products are made in the United States of America. 

Denim wise I used to buy True Religion. As their jeans are made in the U.S.A. Although, when I bought a t-shirt, and khaki cargo shorts, I was pissed off upon removing all the tags, that the products were made in Sri Lanka, and some other country. William Rast were a decent company, then they decided to say "Fuck quality, let's make as much money as we can." They started to cheapen their brand, and it has lost its status and quality. I remember buying my first, and last pair at Over The Rainbow in Toronto.

Sport apparel wise I know New Balance strives to make their products still in the United States of America, and in the United Kingdom, where some of their shoes are made. They also don't hide the fact that some of their products are made in China. Like the phenomenal Minimus shoes. I have bought two pairs of these shoes. Unfortunately, my one pair only lasted eight months, before they got a hole in the bottom. The second pair has lasted a while, and I am glad I rely on them in my running endeavours. I also have a nice pair that were Made In England, that I bought from some cool British store known as End Clothing. 

In Canada if you wanted some winter wear, the perfect, yet expensive company to buy from is Canada Goose. They don't have much non winter wear. I have seen some t-shirts before. They could widen their appeal by making some clothing gear. That don't have to be showcasing their logo all over the shirts. 

One brand that I discovered, that I have been fond of has been Naked & Famous. This company is Canadian, and all of their products are made here. The online shop from their website being Tate and Yoko, is Canadian too, from Montreal I believe. So you don't have to pay for any expensive shipping costs, or customs, bullshit. You can get their products in Canadian stores like: Holt & Renfrew, Sporting Life, and Over The Rainbow. 

My recommendation is Tate & Yoko, however, you may not find as much items as you would in a store. I have seen stuff from Naked & Famous, at Over The Rainbow, and Holt & Renfrew, that I had never seen online. In fact, I got some solid duck canvas shorts from Over The Rainbow which were an exclusive item for that store. The price is fair though on said website. I did buy some Naked & Famous jeans from Sporting Life once. I initially had a bad experience as they emailed me that they were sold out. I complained and told them, then why do they appear on the website that they aren't. Even after my online fiasco, I could still order a pair that wasn't apparently sold out yet. Eventually they did send me a pair, which should have been at a discounted rate. Initially they gave me some bullshit ten percent off deal. Also, a run around on the phone. If you're going to sell products makes sure your website shindig shit is together. So you don't have a pissed off customer that won't recommend ordering online with you again, thanks. 

My Naked & Famous, boner is largely due to the wide variety of denim they make, shirts, shorts, and accessories. I did want to find a wallet by them, however it is all sold out. Later though I bought a Bellroy wallet. Unfortunately, it isn't made in Australia where the company is based. Their FAQ gives some vague answer that their products are made by a specialist in India, does that mean sweatshop workers? Who knows. I do like the belt. I did buy it from this really rad Mens' based store with lots of nifty shaving shindig, and some accessories at 412 Danforth, known as MensEssentials. 

Now my expectations are simple. I do want the product that I am contemplating to be from a reputable source, and specifically from its country of origin. If I were to buy camera gear from Nikon, my expectation is that it is made in Japan. It all depends on the company, and where it is made. Samsung televisions I obviously expect them to be made in Korea. High end fashion brands one should expect that they're made in their country of origin or Italy. As what is the point splurging on some fancy clothes, if it is some poor child labourer, or adult labourer that is getting paid such a terrible wage working in Victorian factory like conditions with a bleak Dickens outlook on the world. Then you might begin to wonder why we have economic meltdowns, and their is large unemployment. It is simple, companies greed, and wanting the biggest return for their shareholders, while at the same token wanting a tax incentive. 

I don't think I have a morally superior position, I just believe that companies should have a responsibility to make their products where in their home base. I believe I blogged about this a bit before. Since then, apparently Apple is finally not being cheap fucks, that make record profits in the United States of America, and are going to be making some computers in the United States, don't know when they'll be available yet. Apparently, it the new Mac Pro lineup. I guess one will have to wait for their Made in the USA iPhones. It is commendable that they're making the attempt, when they could simply keep the status quo. 

To conclude, I think it is important if you're going to preach your holier than thou attitude, you should back it up. This goes for the individuals that don't want you to "buy foreign."Personally, I try my best to support companies that make their products in areas where they're known for. I don't fault people, or look down on them for buying made in China or other horrible conditions places. No one can be 99.9% perfect. With that said, if you wonder why their is a lack of jobs in areas one can just look at our large reliance for cheap goods made overseas in terrible conditions. I'm looking directly at you Loblaws (Joe Fresh), yeah I know that was a while ago. I'll keep trying to support the companies I like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment