Tuesday, 27 September 2011

I'm living for history [A month is never too late]



I decided after ending the evening with someone over drinks, to go to Roy Thomson Hall and scout the line-up situation.

It was after all a casual get together with the person. It is how I took it. Canadian History > than getting sloshed at a bar.

I made it to Roy Thomson Hall at 10:30 pm.

A unique character was to the right of me and a lovely lady from Waterloo was to my left.

My older sibling would rendezvous with me later. After all, they informed me about the public being let in for this event.

I can sleep anywhere so staying up wasn't difficult or sleeping on the concrete with my camera bag as a pillow.

A drunken French lady would come near us carrying an orange TIFF flag she found.


She was definitely cute. Some of the drink the kool-aid NDP supporters at first thought she was expressing solidarity with the flag.

Later numerous people would take some photos of her. I decided to use my iPhone 4 and take a picture, instead of taking out my expensive camera.

The lady actually nearly fell over the ledge at RTH trying to put the flag in the shrub / outer garden.

My sibling later arrived. I had to top of the parking at some lot on Spadina and a side street. A nice chap in a Hummer gave me his ticket as he was leaving. Pays not to be prejudice on someone by what they drive or just in general.

I fell a sleep at 3:00 a.m. and got up at 7:00 a.m.

Stayed in Toronto until 8:30 a.m. , went back to Burlington to shower and get dressed.

Came back for noon and our line pals were at the front and informed us before to meet back up.

I was interviewed by the Sun News. I came off as neutral in the political realm as possible. I came to the event respecting the historical context of this state funeral and not as a partisan person. I do not drink the kool-aid of any political party or carry a card.

I did respect Mister Layton. I had the privilege of meeting him in Welland earlier in the year on a campaign stop.

At times the ceremony felt like a sport event with all of the clapping. I highly enjoyed seeing all the political figures from Canada's history. I did notice that Mister Chretien and Mister Martin did not once talk to each other at the funeral.

I came away with the event, feeling honoured to have witnessed such a historical event for Canada and an amazing tribute to Mister Layton who sought to improve Canada for all.

The one thing I noticed was the contempt some of the die hard NDP followers had for Prime Minister Stephen Harper. I mean he was damned if he did or didn't give Mister Layton a state funeral. I didn't think there was anything to be gained by Prime Minister Harper granting a funeral and it wasn't out of political gain, but rather of respect. One thing I could tell about the Prime Minister is that he had extremely good rhythm during the music bits.

The ceremony was somber and uplifting. It was definitely worth spending the night in Toronto and losing some sleep over.

I've never been afraid to be open to last minute plans. I do what I want to and advance notice or details aren't that important to me. Having an open mind and being willing to go out of my comfort zone definitely appeals.

No comments:

Post a Comment