Monday, 15 August 2011

I saw the Brian Wilson of Indie Rock on August 12th 2011

A couple came up to me, my friend and a line pal I made. They asked who we were seeing? I told them the Brian Wilson of indie rock, Jeff Mangum. The people that heard it in line liked my little reference I came up with. The Howard Hughes card would be too cliche. Additionally, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is a phenomenal album. Mr. Mangum did deserve that accolade reference.

The opening act consisted of Scott Spillane formerly of Neutral Milk Hotel and two other cats he brought along. I wasn't much a fan of his act. The lyrics weren't great. The white socks and loafers didn't do him any favours either. Mr. Spillane's voice was a fuse of Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan and Tom Petty. I definitely dug his chops. I left twice during the act as it was so warm in the place and wanted some air.

I just got introduced to Neutral Milk Hotel this year. A lady told me that her favourite song of all time was Holland, 1945. That's what I took from her.

It is weird in a way that I could have been listening to Neutral Milk Hotel, especially when I was in Holland in 1998.

Alas, we are hear. When I came back and decided not to be suave and get a cigarette off a lady to strike up conversation. As I sat down at my seat. I noticed a person that looked a lot like Mr. Mangum was watching his former band mate perform. He was standing at the back far left side (going in to the church) with a lady. It was at this point I said to my concert pal that's Jeff Mangum and I am likely the only one that noticed. It was confirmed when he went by the merchandise guy to the backstage area. However, I knew I was right way before. I regretted not bringing my album or buying a poster and going up to him and ask for an autograph.

The security at the show was just one dude. Again, I regret not taking my camera in via smuggling it by using the old kleenex box trick. I could have easily left it in a car if I drove in and brought it in afterwards, when security was lax.

Two regrets in a row eh, not sounding good.

The best part was being front row balcony on the far right side, seeing Mr. Mangum perform from above.

When they were setting up the mics he came out to fix his guitars in the precise order and way they should be. I thought a little OCD cool. He also didn't use a setlist which was a splendid sight to see.

During the show, someone yelled about a towel and wanting it. I thought wow a little weird. Realizing that I had no pictures or setlist to get, I tried to get the towel at the end of the night, claiming to be that guy. It was definitely uncomfortable. As I found the individual asking for the towel to be a bit rubbish. However, I wanted to fulfill the goal of having a souvenir from the show.

I realized though the gift was seeing such an amazing act live. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to. It reaffirmed my belief of learning the guitar, drums and having a more complex understanding of the piano.

Three standouts were: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, King Of Carrot Flowers Pt. One, and Ferris Wheel On Fire (unreleased, apparently about his depression).

One can hope Mister Mangum will comeback to Toronto again.

He put on one of the greatest shows I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment